Bear Box at Seville Lake West (SC08)
Generated on 15 Apr 2014 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
Detail Map of waypoint SC08
in Silliman Crest:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- SC08 is a standard box, at about 8400 feet,
in the GPS route SILLIMAN CREST.
- Note: After the trail crests a small rise at 8400', it drops very slightly
to the lake. There is a sign/map at the top of the rise, showing where
you can camp, and where the two bear boxes are.
- Directions from Steve Eckert, with GPS waypoint, June 2002:
One box around the right (west) side of the lake, at the middle of
the lake (not as far around as the sign makes it look). The western box
is near by far the best campsite, with large longs to sit on and lots of
- Directions from Hal Murray, Sep 1999:
One box is roughly 1/4 of the way around Seville Lake on the west
- just follow the main/horse trail. We didn't see any bear box in Rowell Meadow.
- Directions from Mineral King ranger info sheet, dated 1991:
One box [unspecified location] which probably used to be located at Rowell Meadow.
- SC08 coordinates: (see waypoint and interactive map links above)
(lat,lon) = (36.6832200, -118.7204200) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
(zone,east,north) = (11S, 346362.0, 4060915.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire Silliman Crest region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.