Bear Box at Pear Lake West (LT03)
Generated on 23 Nov 2015 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
Detail Map of waypoint LT03
in Lodgepole to Tableland:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- LT03 is a standard box, at about 9500 feet,
in the GPS route LODGEPOLE TABLE.
- Directions from Steve Eckert, with GPS waypoint, July 2002:
As the trail from Lodgepole approaches Pear Lake, about
50 yards before the trail crosses the outlet stream, you come
to an informational sign showing numbered campsites and bear
box locations. One box is on top of the slabby bump to the right
(west) of the sign. The topo does not show this bump, and the box
can not be seen from any point along the trail. It is about 50 yards
from the trail, 100 yards from the lake, and at least 100' elevation
above the lake. Campsites near this box are on flat sand between
slabs, with an absolutely stunning view of the valley and the lake.
They are far better than campsites by the other Pear Lake box,
but are exposed to wind and weather.
- Directions from Mineral King ranger info sheet, dated 1991:
Two boxes on the north side of Pear Lake.
- LT03 coordinates: (see waypoint and interactive map links above)
(lat,lon) = (36.6034900, -118.6696900) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
(zone,east,north) = (11S, 350741.0, 4051990.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire Lodgepole to Tableland region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.