Bear Box at Franklin Lake Upper (MK11)
Generated on 21 Jun 2014 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
Detail Map of waypoint MK11
in Mineral King Area:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- MK11 is a standard box, at about 10500 feet,
in the GPS route MINERAL KING.
- Directions from Steve Eckert, with GPS waypoint, Oct 2001:
One box on the northeast side of Franklin Lake, just over
one third of the length of the lake from the dam and 200'
above lake level (one third of the way from the trail down
to the lake). You can see the box from the trail,
right under the SECOND stand of big trees above
the dam (notable because the trees are lined up in a row
at the top of a small cliff or shelf). Many use trails
lead down the slope from the trail to the lake, but the
best turnoff is near the 'pit toilet' sign on the trail.
Another box is nearby, closer to the lake, and IS visible
from this one: see BBMK06.
- Directions from Mineral King ranger info sheet, dated 1991:
One box four tenths of a mile east of the Franklin Lake dam
and about 200 feet above the lakeshore.
- MK11 coordinates: (see waypoint and interactive map links above)
(lat,lon) = (36.4205700, -118.5572200) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
(zone,east,north) = (11S, 360475.0, 4031527.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire Mineral King Area region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.