Bear Box at Main Kearsarge Lake (KA03)
Generated on 5 Jul 2012 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
Detail Map of waypoint KA03
in Kearsarge Area Eastern Rae Lakes Loop:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- KA03 is a standard box, at about 10900 feet,
in the GPS route KEARSARGE AREA.
- Note: The Main Kearsarge Lake is the lake where two
drainages meet, the only lake with two inlets. A small
cliff/waterfall goes down from this lake to the lower lake,
easily bypassed on the north side.
- Directions from Alison Steiner, NPS Wilderness Coordinator, June 2012:
The park is closing the Kearsarge Lakes food-storage lockers for the 2012
season in response to a noted increase in food caching at Kearsarge Lakes.
Caching of materials in wilderness is problematic to park management and
disruptive to park visitors and, as such, is prohibited.
- Directions from Gary Craig, with GPS waypoint, July 2002:
One standard box on the promontory that extends into the 'main'
Kearsarge Lake from the NE, about 30 feet above the waterline.
I believe this box has been moved recently. It was in the location
described by Eckert when I was previously there.
- Directions from Steve Eckert, with GPS waypoint, Aug 2000:
OBSOLETE: One regular box just 20 feet from the northeast shore
of the eastern lobe of the main Kearsarge Lake.
- Directions from Mineral King ranger info sheet, dated 1991:
One box on the north side of the main Kearsarge Lake.
- KA03 coordinates: (see waypoint and interactive map links above)
(lat,lon) = (36.7655600, -118.3889800) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
(zone,east,north) = (11S, 376110.0, 4069570.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire Kearsarge Area Eastern Rae Lakes Loop region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.