Bear Box at Lower Kearsarge Lake (KA02)
Generated on 5 Jul 2012 - see revision history - please send updates to the webmaster
Detail Map of waypoint KA02
in Kearsarge Area Eastern Rae Lakes Loop:
(scroll down for directions, waypoints, and area map)
- KA02 is a standard box, at about 10800 feet,
in the GPS route KEARSARGE AREA.
- Note: A small cliff/waterfall goes up
from Lower Kearsarge Lake to Main Kearsarge Lake, easily bypassed to the north.
- Directions from Alison Steiner, NPS Wilderness Coordinator, June 2012:
The park is closing the Kearsarge Lakes food-storage lockers for the 2012
season in response to a noted increase in food caching at Kearsarge Lakes.
Caching of materials in wilderness is problematic to park management and
disruptive to park visitors and, as such, is prohibited.
- Directions from Steve Eckert, with GPS waypoint, Aug 2000:
One regular box in the trees about 75 feet from the north shore
of the lowest Kearsarge Lake.
- Directions from Mineral King ranger info sheet, dated 1991:
One box southwest of the lower Kearsarge Lake.
- KA02 coordinates: (see waypoint and interactive map links above)
(lat,lon) = (36.7694800, -118.3931500) in decimal degrees, NAD83.
(zone,east,north) = (11S, 375746.0, 4070008.0) in decimal meters, NAD27.
- Scroll down for a regional map of the entire Kearsarge Area Eastern Rae Lakes Loop region.
Map exported from TOPO! software, used with permission.